This is a more advanced hip exercise. Depending upon the weight used, and the number of reps performed, it can be used to develop good control of muscle coordination or to improve strength and endurance.
No weights are required if the exercise is being done for movement coordination. You should not progress to adding hand weights until you can do this exercise with excellent form.
- Lunge forward and lower yourself toward the ground until the back knee almost contacts the ground (but not quite).
- Transfer your weight onto the front foot and stand up on that foot.
- Repeat with alternating legs.
- It is important that the knees do not collapse toward the midline.
- At all phases of the exercise the knees should be directly over the foot/ankle.