Education and Degrees
University of Toronto
1998 - 2001
University of Manitoba
2001 - 2005
Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada
2005 - 2010
University of Toronto
MSc, Clinical Epidemiology
2009 - 2013
University of Toronto and University of St. Gallen
2014 - 2016
Recent Scientific Publications
- Hoit G, Whelan DB, Dwyer T, Chahal J. Physiotherapy as an initial treatment option for femoroacetabular impingement: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis of 5 randomized control trials. American Journal of Sports Medicine. Accepted Aug 27, 2019.
- Dwyer T, Whelan D, Shah P, Ajrawat P, Hoit G, Chahal J. Operative versus non-operative treatment of symptomatic femoracetabular impingement syndrome: A meta-analysis. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. Accepted July 2019
- Ajrawat P, Dwyer T, Chahal J. Autologous Interleukin 1 Receptor Antagonist Blood-Derived Products for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review. Arthroscopy. 2019 Jul;35(7):2211-2221.
- Weber S, Chahal J. Management of rotator cuff injuries. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 Oct 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schemitsch C, Chahal J, Vicente M, Nowak L, Flurin PH, Lambers Heerspink F, Henry P, Nauth A. Surgical repair versus conservative treatment and subacromial decompression for the treatment of rotator cuff tears: a meta- analysis of randomized trials. Bone Joint J. 2019 Sep;101-B(9):1100-1106.
- Ajrawat P, Dwyer T, Whelan D, Theodoropoulos J, Murnaghan L, Bhargava M, Ogilvie-Harris D, Chahal J. A Comparison of Quadriceps Tendon Autograft with Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Autograft and Hamstring Tendon Autograft for Primary Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review and Quantitative Synthesis. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. Epub 2019 Jun 19.
- Abdallah FW, Mejia J, Prasad GA, Moga R, Chahal J, Theodoropulos J, Dwyer T, Brull R. Opioid- and Motor-sparing with Proximal, Mid-, and Distal Locations for Adductor Canal Block in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Anesthesiology. Epub 2019 Jun 18
- Chahal J, Gómez-Aristizábal A, Shestopaloff K, Bhatt S, Chaboureau A, Fazio A, Chisholm J, Weston A, Keating A, Kapoor M, Ogilvie-Harris DJ, Syed KA, Gandhi R, Mahomed NN, Marshall KW, Sussman MS, Naraghi AM, Viswanathan S. Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Treatment in Patients with Osteoarthritis Results in Overall Improvement in Pain and Symptoms and Reduces Synovial Inflammation. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2019 Aug;8(8):746-757. Epub 2019 Apr 9.
Jas Chahal Podcast Latest Appearances
In the Media
Dr. Chahal discusses the inter-personal strategies the founding team at Therapia used build the first online home physio marketplace
University of St. Gallen
Dr. Chahal and his co-founder discuss the inspiration behind Therapia and some of the lessons learned.
An overview of how Therapia started, the impact of a MBA education, and high levels goals for this organization.
Women’s College Connect
A focus on Dr. Chahal’s work as an academic surgeon and his approach to patient-centred care.
Globe and Mail
An overview of Canada’s first clinical trial using expanded stem cells to treat osteoarthritis. Dr. Chahal was a co-principal investigator for this study which has now been published in Stem Cells and Translational Medicine.
Dr. Chahal speaks to attendees at HealthTO about opportunities and challenges related to innovation in Canadian healthcare and beyond.
Dr. Chahal talks about the role of PRP in sports injuries and osteoarthritis, a popular yet controversial topic.