This is a great exercise for patients having trouble regaining dorsiflexion range of motion after an injury or surgery. Dorsiflexion moves your foot and toes closer to your shin. Inadequate dorsiflexion makes activities like descending stairs and running very uncomfortable and awkward.
- In standing, place the effected foot up on a high step or a chair.
- Place hands on thigh.
- Lunge forward while keeping the entire foot in contact with the chair (do not let ankle lift).
- Use upper body weight and hands to place extra pressure on at the end of your ankle range of motion.
- Hold for 3 seconds and return to start position.
- Repeat 20 times.
- For best results repeat every 2 hours.