This exercise is used to restore lumbar spine extension range of motion and has proven very useful for patients with lumbar disc injuries that are made worse by sitting. If this exercise is right for you it will improve range of motion and relieve pain.
- Lying flat on your stomach with hands on the ground as though you were going to perform a push up.
- Keep all lower body muscles completely relaxed and straighten your arms pushing your upper body up toward the ceiling.
- Do not hold your hips down on the ground – simply let them come up if that is what happens when you are relaxed.
- Straighten your arms all the way and with your elbows locked breathe out and let your abs and hip muscles sag.
- When you sag you will feel the stiffness in your low back.
- Hold for 1 second and return to the start position.
- Repeat 15x